Green Tea contains various phenolic compounds, one of the most important of which is EGCG ( Epigallocatechins). Studies have been done on this as a demethylating agent. It has been found to have a direct inhibiting effect on DNMT. (1)(2)
Tumeric has been shown to be an HDAC inhibitor ( histone deacetylase enzyme). This means that it stops the acetyl group from having any action on the histone tail, because having the acetyl group on the histone tail loosens the histone and allows the DNA to be expressed. So turmeric inactivates the acetyl group and stops the gene expression.(3)
Olive leaf has been used for thousands of years, and has many beneficial effects(7). It is also well known for its high antioxidant capacity, antiviral, antiparasitic and antifungal properties. A study conducted in Switzerland(8) concluded that olive leaf extract reduced blood pressure and LDL.
(1) Mechanisms for the inhibition of DNA methyltransferases by tea catechins and bioflavonoids. - College of Pharmacy, University of South Carolina, Columbia.
(2) Tea Polyphenol (?)-Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate Inhibits DNA Methyltransferase and Reactivates Methylation-Silenced Genes in
Cancer Cell Lines - Ming Zhu Fang, Yimin Wang, Ni Ai, Zhe Hou,Yi Sun. Hong Lu. William Welsh and Chung S. Yang
(3) Molecular modifications on carboxylic acid derivatives as potent histone deacetylase inhibitors: Activity and docking studies. -
Hacettepe University, Turkey.
(7) Oleuropein in Olive and its Pharmacological Effects - College of Pharmacy, Qassim University, Buraidah-51418, Saudi Arabia
(8) Food supplementation with an olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract reduces blood pressure in borderline hypertensive
monozygotic twins. - Frutarom Switzerland Ltd.