Metabolics carries a comprehensive range of pure amino acid supplements; amino acids are required for protein synthesis and other important functions within the body. There are both proteinogenic amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein that are needed for the growth and repair of the cells in our body, and non-proteinogenic amino acids, which whilst not encoded for by our genetic code to manufacture proteins still can have various physiological roles. Amino acids are generally talked about in terms of three groups; essential, non-essential and conditional. There are a total of nine essential amino acids, which cannot be manufactured by the body and have to be supplied from dietary foods or supplementation. The body can make the other amino acids but, under some circumstances such as illness, stress and during periods of exercise the body may not meet its demands for these amino acids and you may have to supplement through diet to meet your requirements.
Essential Amino Acids
The essential amino acids are Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan and Valine. These essential amino acids can be obtained through food, such as meat, eggs, tofu and quinoa. When the body consumes food that contains protein, the digestive system breaks down this protein into essential amino acids, which it uses in a whole host of vital bodily functions. Each essential amino acid has a different function within the body, including having a role in protein synthesis and muscle repair to supporting immune function and energy production. For further information on each of the different amino acids, please see the specific supplement information below.
Non-essential Amino Acids
The non-essential amino acids are Alanine, Arginine, Asparagine, Aspartic acid, Glutamine, Glycine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine, Cysteine and Glutamic acid.
Conditional Amino Acids
Some of the non-essential amino acids become more essential during activity where your body may need additional support, such as periods of exercise, illness or stress. These are called conditional amino acids and include arginine, cysteine, glutamine, tyrosine, glycine, proline, and serine, from the non-essential amino acid group, and ornithine, which is a non-proteinogenic amino acid that plays a role in the urea cycle as it is recycled back to arginine. Cysteine and Glutamic acid can become essential during stress. Cysteine is used to produce glutathione, an antioxidant, which can offer the body protective support against oxidative stress.
Why use amino acid supplements
While we can consume food to give our bodies the essential amino acids and the body can produce non-essential amino acids, food supplements offer a way of obtaining a measured amount of a particular amino acid in accordance with your needs. Browse below for Metabolics's complete range of amino acids.
- Arginine (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKArginine is known as a “conditionally non-essential amino acid”. It can be made in...£22.73
- DL Phenylalanine (Pot of 60 capsules)OUT OF STOCKPlease note: This product is currently out of stock. We anticipate a restock in late...£20.81
- Glutamine (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKL-Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid manufactured in the body from glutamate and...£20.62
- Glutathione Reduced (Pot of 30 capsules)IN STOCKReduced glutathione is glutathione which has lost oxygen. In this reduced state it...£23.75
- Glycine (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKGlycine occupies one third of the structure of collagen such as skin and ligaments.£21.31
- Lysine (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKLysine is one the the genuinely essential amino acids, which the body needs but is unable...£18.01
- Methionine (Pot of 60 capsules)IN STOCKMethionine is an essential sulphur amino acid. Essential, and quite broadly useful, as it...£19.63
- N. Acetyl Cysteine (Pot of 60 capsules)IN STOCKNAC is the precursor of cysteine which is the precursor to the antioxidant glutathione.£20.39
- Taurine (Pot of 60 capsules)IN STOCKTaurine is an amino acid that the body synthesises from sulphur-containing amino acids....£19.42
- Tyrosine (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKTyrosine is a significant amino acid with many roles within the body£19.97