Bone and joint healthAs we age, our bones lose strength, making them more susceptible to fractures, and joints become less flexible and can end up feeling stiff. In fact, it is thought that we reach peak bone mass in our mid-30s and, by the time we reach 40, we start losing bone density at a higher rate than the bone that is made in the body. For healthy bones and joints, staying active plays a huge role, ensuring joints stay lubricated and bone weakness is minimised. In addition to keeping active, diet and nutrition have a part in keeping joints and bones healthy. Bones and joints need a variety of nutrients in order to stay healthy.
Vitamins for bones and jointsThere are a variety of vitamins that are needed for healthy bones and joints. Vitamin D and vitamin K, specifically, are known to contribute towards the maintenance of normal bones. Vitamin C is needed as it contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of cartilage, which cushions the joints in your body. In addition to these vitamins, nutrients such as calcium, collagen, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium and zinc all have a role in supporting bone and joint health and are needed if we want to remain mobile into our older years. While you can obtain these vitamins and minerals through your diet, it’s also important to take note of what you’re eating drinking and whether it can interfere with the absorption and effectiveness of these nutrients. For example, the more salt in your diet, the more your body removes calcium, which is essential for maintaining bone health. Alcohol and too much tea and coffee can also interfere with the amount of calcium absorbed by your body.
What is glucosamine?Glucosamine is a substance that occurs naturally in the fluid around the joints and is important for building cartilage. It is thought that the sulphur in glucosamine helps build and repair cartilage with the glucosamine playing a role in the incorporation of sulphur into cartilage, which has made it a popular food supplement for joint health. The Metabolics range of bone and joint supplements are designed to support your body’s nutritional needs, offering a measured way of securing the right amount of vitamins that maintain your bone and joint health.
37 products available
- Calcium Citrate Malate (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKAn ideal supplemental dose of calcium delivered in a highly soluble, highly bioavailable...£19.19
- Calcium Magnesium Cit/Mal (Pot Of 90 Capsules)IN STOCKA combination of calcium and magnesium in highly bioavailable forms.£20.14
- Collagen Formula (Pot Of 60 Capsules)IN STOCKCollagen is the most important structural protein in the body. It strengthens tendons,...£23.39
- Glucosamine (Pot Of 60 Capsules) VegetarianIN STOCKGlucosamine is vital for producing glycosaminoglycan that is a very important molecule...£21.73
- Glucosamine Sulfate (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKAs we age, glucosamine which is naturally produced in the body decreases and joint...£19.61
- Ionic Boron XSIN STOCKIonic Boron is an essential trace mineral that is involved in the conversion of vitamin D.£17.81
- Ionic CalciumIN STOCKThis product is ideally suited to young and old alike, for those that need an extra...£17.81
- Ionic MagnesiumIN STOCKMagnesium is an essential nutrient that plays an important role in th maintenance of...£17.81
- Ionic Magnesium XSIN STOCKA highly bioavailable pure liquid form of magnesium. It has a low dose, so it suitable...£17.81
- Ionic ManganeseIN STOCKManganese is an essential mineral found in fruits such as pineapple, nuts and whole-wheat...£17.81
- Ionic ZincIN STOCKAn excellent liquid zinc supplement, in easily bioavailable form.£17.81
- Ionic Zinc XSIN STOCKIonic Zinc XS is an excellent liquid zinc supplement.£17.81