Digestive and gut health is reliant on a healthy gastrointestinal tract, which is the organ system by which food is digested to absorb energy and nutrients, with waste excreted from the body. The mouth, oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and large intestine, or colon, all make up the digestive system and each have an important role in this process.
As the second largest organ in your body, your colon is very important to your overall health as it plays a large part in detoxifying the body. It is the last part of the digestive system and extracts water from solid waste before excreting it. An unhealthy colon can lead to bloating, constipation, diarrhoea and issues such as leaky gut syndrome.
What is leaky gut syndrome?
Leaky gut syndrome is where the intestinal lining becomes permeable and harmful substances begin to leak through the intestinal wall and enter the bloodstream, which can lead to food sensitivity and skin conditions amongst other complications. Nutrients such as glutamine, inulin fibre and probiotics can all help support gut health and mitigate against leaky gut.
A healthy gut has an effect on your whole body, with many studies citing a link between gut health and physical and mental health.
While supporting gut health is important for staying physically healthy, there have also been several studies that link gut health to the brain.
The gut contains 500 million neurons, which are cells that tell your body how to behave, and are connected to the brain by nerves in the nervous system. There are also several neurotransmitters that are produced by gut cells and microbes in the gut, including serotonin, which has an impact on mood.
Diet is an important part of keeping the gut healthy. Unhealthy foods such as processed meats and trans fats can lead to poor digestion, whereas eating a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables can improve your fibre intake and aid regular bowel movements.
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that can have a positive effect on the body, specifically gut health. They can be food in foods such as yoghurt and other fermented food such as cheese and pickles, as well as food supplements. Studies show the probiotics can help balance gut flora, which can become unbalanced as a result of poor diet or after taking antibiotics.
The range of Metabolics gut health and digestion supplements are designed to support the health of various parts of the body associated with the gut and digestion.
20 products available
- Green Support Formula (Pot Of 120 Capsules)IN STOCKGreen Support Formula£37.20
- Inulin Fibre (Pot of 120 capsules)IN STOCKMetabolics Inulin is a natural complex carbohydrate which should be consumed alongside...£21.16
- Lectin SupportIN STOCKLectin Support is a nutritional support formula to aid the natural process of digestion...£30.49
- Mastic Gum Formula (Pot Of 60 Capsules)IN STOCKMastic Gum Formula is a proprietary blend of Mastic Gum, Ginger, Betaine HCL and Papain....£39.85
- Organic Chlorella (Pot of 60 capsules)IN STOCKChlorella is a green, single cell freshwater algae. More than 20 vitamins and minerals...£24.00
- Organic Spirulina (Pot Of 180 Capsules)IN STOCKOrganic Spirulina£27.32
- Paralite (Pot Of 60 Capsules)IN STOCKMetabolics Paralite contains a range of traditionally recognised anti-parasitic foods to...£34.79
- Turmeric and Piperine (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKTurmeric (Containing 95% curcuminoids) and Piperine£31.61