DHA (Docosahexanoic acid)
Order by 3pm for same day dispatch
Eligible for free UK delivery.
28 Day Money Back Guarantee DHA is an Omega 3 fatty acid (phospholipid) making up about a third of our brains. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential components of the cell membranes of all cells in the body. It is also abundant in the retina of our eyes and the conducting tissue of the heart. It is also found in the skin, sperm and testicles. DHA can be obtained directly from the flesh of cold-water fish along with EPA or the body can make small amounts from Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA), found in flaxseed oil. Babies can directly receive DHA through breast milk.
Functions of DHA
- DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal brain function; the beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 250 mg of DHA.
- DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal vision, the beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 250mg of DHA.
- EPA and DHA contribute to the normal function of the heart - EPA and DHA contribute to the normal function of the heart - the beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 250 mg of EPA and DHA.
Importance during Pregnancy
As there is such rapid growth and uptake of DHA during foetal and early neonatal life, intake of these polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) is important before and during pregnancy.
- DHA maternal intake contributes to the normal brain development of the foetus breastfed infants. This beneficial effect can be obtained by pregnant and lactating women with an intake of 200mg DHA, in addition to the RDA of 250mg DHA and EPA for Omega 3 fatty acids for adults.
- DHA contributes to the normal visual development of infants up to 12 months of age- this beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 100mg DHA.
- DHA maternal intake contributes to the normal development of the eye of the foetus and breastfed infants- this beneficial effect is obtained with a daily intake of 200mg of DHA in addition to the 250mg RDA Omega 3 Fatty acids (EPA and DHA) for adults.
DHA is either found in Omega 3 oils, along with DHA or in vegetarian form manufactured from the algae Schizochytrium. This product is suitable for vegetarians.
Recommended daily intake - 1 x 200mg capsule DHA.
This product is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
"Staple supplement and very good"
"Used in conjunction with Optimeyes, I saw an almost instant improvement in my eyes, the 'floaters' having started to disappear pretty much the next day! Excellent!"
"This product has helped me with pain I experienced in my knees as I was unable to bend my knees for a long period of time."