What is an anti-microbial supplement?
Antimicrobials are agents that kill or slow the spread of microorganisms and tend to be grouped in accordance with the microorganism they act against. These include, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antiparasitic agents. Infections are caused by these microorganisms entering the body, multiplying and interfering with normal functions. When we don’t have the right balance of nutrients, or are exposed to a weakened immune system (through medication or illness) our bodies can become susceptible to bacterial, fungal, viral and parasitic infections. Foods with anti-microbial properties and supplements containing them, work by strengthening the immune system and contributing to the body’s defences against external agents. There is concern that, by taking prescribed antibiotics too frequently, our bodies can build up resistance to such medication, rendering it useless at times when it’s needed most. For this reason, interest in food-based anti-microbial options has grown in recent years as individuals are looking to bolster their immune systems and their body’s ability to fight off foreign agents, lessening the risk of needing prescription antibiotics.
There are many common food items that contain anti-bacterial properties. Garlic, honey and oregano are all natural food substances that can be used to support your body’s antibacterial defences. Honey and propolis, the sticky, brown substance that bees use to line their hives, for example, is packed with vitamins and minerals that can support the immune system as well being a source of hydrogen peroxide, which gives them some of their antibacterial properties.
Anti-fungal supplements are designed to support the body in its fight against fungal overgrowths. Such overgrowths can be triggered by poor diet (such as high sugar, high fat, low fibre), impaired immunity, use of certain drugs like antibiotics and stress. Metabolics Fungalite Phase 1, for example, is formulated with ingredients that contain anti-fungal properties including, olive leaf extract, garlic powder and grapefruit seed extract.
Many of the same foods substances that help support the immune system against bacteria are the same food substances that support the body’s defence against viruses. Garlic, oregano, astragalus, echinacea and ginger are all natural substances that have anti-viral properties to support the body in staying healthy.
Parasites are organisms that infect the body of another and live off their hosts in order to survive. These parasites can grow, reproduce and subsequently cause parasitic infections making their hosts very ill. Parasites can enter the body as a result of drinking contaminated water or eating contaminated food. Travelling abroad to an exotic country is an activity that can see you most at risk of picking up a parasite in such a way. You can support your body nutritionally in fighting off parasites by consuming foods with anti-parasitic properties or taking supplements. Black walnut, cloves, propolis, oregano and wormwood are all substances that can help support the body’s natural defences against parasites. Your healthcare provider is best placed to make an assessment of your health; and natural antibiotics are never recommended as a replacement for doctor prescriptions or advice, however, the Metabolics range of anti-microbial supplements can be used as a way of strengthening the body’s immune system and supporting normal health and wellbeing.
38 products available
- Activated Coconut Charcoal (Pot Of 100 Capsules)IN STOCKCharcoal can be made from many different materials including wood, moss, bone and...£20.27
- Activated Coconut Charcoal PowderOUT OF STOCKMetabolics Activated Charcoal Powder is currently out of stock. Please see Activated...£22.20
- Artemisia Annua (Sweet Wormwood)OUT OF STOCKThis product has been discontinued.£20.99
- Bio SilverIN STOCKMetabolics Bio Silver contains Ionic Silver.£14.84
- Black Walnut (Juglans nigra)IN STOCKThis product is made from Juglans Nigra Hulls.£19.32
- Bladderwrack (Fucus) (Pot of 90 capsules)OUT OF STOCKPlease note: This product is currently out of stock. Please check back soon for updates....£24.62
- Caprylic Acid (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKA medium chain triglyceride fatty acid that rapidly metabolises to release energy.£21.36
- Cilantro (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKA pure fill Cilantro supplement containing 300mg of Cilantro per capsule.£20.78
- Cinnamon & Piperine (Pot Of 90 Capsules)OUT OF STOCKThis product is now discontinued. Please see our anti-inflammatory supplements for...£22.70
- Cloves (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKCloves£19.66
- Combocillus (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKProvides a wide range and substantial quantities of good bacteria, in both Lactobacillus...£28.69
- Combocillus Powder (100g)IN STOCKProvides a wide range and substantial quantities of good bacteria, in both Lactobacillus...£48.00