We all know the old-wives tale that carrots are supposed to help us see in the dark but, actually, nutrition plays an important role in keeping our eyes healthy and carrots, as a great source of vitamin A, while unlikely to help you gain night-vision anytime soon can contribute towards the maintenance of normal vision.
Vitamin B2, riboflavin, is another vitamin that’s important for eye health. Riboflavin supports eye health by providing the body with antioxidants that fight off free radicals that can cause oxidative stress and damage to the body, including the eyes.
Age related eye deterioration
Our eyes deteriorate naturally as part of the ageing process and there is very little we can do to stop deterioration completely, however, a healthy and varied diet is one way of delaying the process as it includes a range of vitamins and minerals that support eye health. Past the age of 40, the lens inside the eye starts to stiffen, making it difficult to focus on subjects close up, which is a process called presbyopia. This is a normal part of ageing but you can take steps to better protect your vision from early onset presbyopia by getting regular eye tests, protecting your eyes from UV light by wearing ye protection in the sun, and eating a varied healthy diet full of antioxidants and vitamins.
A healthy diet can also help mitigate against chronic health conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, that can negatively impact eye health.
As well as the lens of the eye losing flexibility as we age, you can get a natural build-up of toxic molecules, such as A2E, at the back of the eye. This is a normal process but can accelerate vision deterioration as it accumulates I the retinal pigment epithelial cells. There are studies that suggest that omega-3 fatty acids, and DHA Docosahexaenoic acid in particular, can slow down this process as DHA is the primary structural fatty acid of the grey matter of the retina.
Another common age-related condition that affects the eyes is age-related macular degeneration (AMD). This is a condition that usually affects people in their 50s and 60s and can make vision blurry or distorted, though no form of AMD ever leads to complete sight loss as some peripheral vision remains. A healthy diet, full of the vitamins and minerals suggested here that support eye health, will protect vision and support overall health.
Minerals for eye health
As well as vitamins, minerals are vitally important for supported eye health. Zinc, in particular, is recognized for contributing to the maintenance of normal vision. Zinc works with vitamin A to create the pigment melanin, which, as well as giving eyes their colour, protects the eye from the sun.
The Metabolics range of eye health supplements has been designed to give a varied mix of nutrients to support your eyesight and the many elements that are related to eye health.
14 products available
- DHA (Pot of 60 soft gel capsules)OUT OF STOCKPlease note: This product is currently out of stock. Please call our customer service...£39.60
- Ionic ZincIN STOCKAn excellent liquid zinc supplement, in easily bioavailable form.£21.25
- Ionic Zinc XSIN STOCKIonic Zinc XS is an excellent liquid zinc supplement.£21.25
- Liquid ZincIN STOCKLiquid Zinc is an easily absorbed form of zinc supplement that passes more directly to...£21.25
- OptimEyes (Pot Of 90 Capsules)IN STOCKSupport against the development and advancement of common conditions£34.80
- Super ZincIN STOCKThis liquid supplement is a blend of zinc sulphate and zinc chloride.£21.25
- Triple ZincIN STOCKMetabolics Triple Zinc is an effective formula that combines three of the most easily...£20.53
- Vitamin A Oil (100ml)IN STOCKVitamin A Oil£24.24
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin 5 Phosphate)IN STOCKVitamin B2 (Riboflavin 5 Phosphate)£19.19
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin 5 Phosphate) (Pot of 60...IN STOCKVitamin B2 (Riboflavin 5 Phosphate)£20.93
- Zinc Ascorbate (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCKZinc Ascorbate£22.13
- Zinc Formula (Pot Of 90 Capsules)IN STOCKZinc Formula£23.20
14 products available