Zinc plays an important role in:
- the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and vitamin A
- keeping the immune system working
- protein manufacture and the maintenance of healthy skin, hair and nails
- muscle growth and reproductive health
- DNA synthesis and cell division
- as an antioxidant, protecting cells from oxidative damage
- maintaining healthy bones
- supporting cognitive performance
- normal vision
Vitamin C is an essential vitamin with many functions, including:
- as an antioxidant, helping to protect cells from the effects of oxidation
- maintaining the immune system, both normally and under the influence of intense exercise
- contributing to the metabolism of energy, and to the reduction of fatigue
- contributing to the normal synthesis of collagen
- helping to maintain a healthy nervous system
- increasing the absorption of iron
- supporting psychological health
The body regulates its zinc levels so that within certain limits any excess is discarded.
The daily requirement of zinc is readily available in a balanced diet, including vegetarian diets if they include wholegrains and pulses (such as beans and lentils).
The UK RDA of zinc is 10mg. One dose provides 15mg active zinc. The vitamin C content of each capsule is slightly more than the RDA but well within recommended daily limits.
Excessive zinc consumption can have toxic effects, or could lead to anaemia. Do not take more than 25mg total zinc intake per day unless under specific medical advice. It is recommended not to exceed one capsule of this supplement per day unless under advice from your practitioner. In case of zinc intake above 50mg per day, about 5mg per day of additional copper should also be taken.
"Well packaged, great pure product"