Metabolics carries a comprehensive range of pure amino acid supplements; amino acids are required for protein synthesis and other important functions within the body. There are both proteinogenic amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein that are needed for the growth and repair of the cells in our body, and non-proteinogenic amino acids, which whilst not encoded for by our genetic code to manufacture proteins still can have various physiological roles. Amino acids are generally talked about in terms of three groups; essential, non-essential and conditional. There are a total of nine essential amino acids, which cannot be manufactured by the body and have to be supplied from dietary foods or supplementation. The body can make the other amino acids but, under some circumstances such as illness, stress and during periods of exercise the body may not meet its demands for these amino acids and you may have to supplement through diet to meet your requirements.
Essential Amino Acids
The essential amino acids are Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan and Valine. These essential amino acids can be obtained through food, such as meat, eggs, tofu and quinoa. When the body consumes food that contains protein, the digestive system breaks down this protein into essential amino acids, which it uses in a whole host of vital bodily functions. Each essential amino acid has a different function within the body, including having a role in protein synthesis and muscle repair to supporting immune function and energy production. For further information on each of the different amino acids, please see the specific supplement information below.
Non-essential Amino Acids
The non-essential amino acids are Alanine, Arginine, Asparagine, Aspartic acid, Glutamine, Glycine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine, Cysteine and Glutamic acid.
Conditional Amino Acids
Some of the non-essential amino acids become more essential during activity where your body may need additional support, such as periods of exercise, illness or stress. These are called conditional amino acids and include arginine, cysteine, glutamine, tyrosine, glycine, proline, and serine, from the non-essential amino acid group, and ornithine, which is a non-proteinogenic amino acid that plays a role in the urea cycle as it is recycled back to arginine. Cysteine and Glutamic acid can become essential during stress. Cysteine is used to produce glutathione, an antioxidant, which can offer the body protective support against oxidative stress.
Why use amino acid supplements
While we can consume food to give our bodies the essential amino acids and the body can produce non-essential amino acids, food supplements offer a way of obtaining a measured amount of a particular amino acid in accordance with your needs. Browse below for Metabolics's complete range of amino acids.
- 5-Hydroxytryptophan (Pot of 90 capsules)IN STOCK5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is a metabolite of tryptophan and is crucial to the synthesis...£38.05
- Acetyl L. Carnitine (Pot of 60 capsules)IN STOCKAcetyl L Carnitine is a derivative of Carnitine but has greater bioavailability than...£30.26
- Carnitine (Pot of 60 capsules)IN STOCKCarnitine is an amino acid derivative, with a role in energy metabolism. Please note: We...£26.99
- Carnosine PowderIN STOCKCarnosine is a multifunctional dipeptide made up of a chemical combination of the amino...£45.31
- Cysteine (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKCysteine is used to produce Glutathione and Taurine. It is an important constituent of...£24.74
- Histidine (Pot of 100 capsules)OUT OF STOCKPlease note: This product has been discontinued. Please see our range of amino acids. It...£30.78
- Ornithine (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKOrnithine is an amino acid found in protein rich foods.£24.35
- Proline (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKProline is a non-essential amino acid and is required for the synthesis of collagen....£30.94
- Theanine (Pot Of 60 Capsules)IN STOCKTheanine is an amino acid produced in the roots of the Green Tea plant.£26.40
- Threonine (Pot of 100 capsules)IN STOCKThreonine is one of the essential amino acids; an amino acid that the body needs, but...£24.18